This is an important question and one that we should all ask ourselves. The majority of New Zealanders have access to a mobile phone, which means you can call 111 anytime. However, some of us only have a home phone or live in areas where there is no mobile reception. If our home phone works using a digital voice technology (such as VoIP), we might need an alternative method to contact emergency services during a power cut.

111 Contact Code

The 111 Contact Code was created to support vulnerable consumers who cannot call 111 in a power cut because they have moved to new home phone technologies like fibre and fixed wireless. Telecommunications providers must take extra steps to ensure that vulnerable consumers are able to contact emergency services in a power cut. Providers should work with those consumers to make sure they have a suitable arrangement such as a back-up power supply or mobile phone before August 2021.  

Can TDR help?

TDR is here to help with any disputes relating to the 111 Contact Code. Our service is free for consumers and open to customers of all home phone service providers, regardless of who your provider is. Any disagreements or complaints in relation to the rights and obligations of the parties under the 111 Contact Code can be referred to TDR if they remain unresolved after 5 working days.

If you would like to talk to TDR about a 111 Contact Code matter you can get in touch by:

Where can I find out more?

The New Zealand Telecommunications Forum (TCF) have been working together with TDR and the Commerce Commission on a joint consumer factsheet.

This short factsheet covers all the essential information you need to know to be prepared for an emergency and outlines the extra support available under the 111 Contact Code.


Related files