Telecommunications Dispute Resolution (TDR) deals with complaints from consumers about services or products provided by their telecommunications company.
TDR can consider:
- Complaints about companies that are members of our service. Any service or product, including pre-pay mobile phones, from a telecommunications company that is a member of TDR. You can also complain about how you have been charged for products and services (but not the pricing)
- Complaints from residential and small business customers (and organisations) - those with less than 20 full time employees
- Complaints that are made to TDR within 12 months of your initial discovery of the matter you are complaining about
- Complaints that involve claims for $15,000 or less. That can include claims for compensation for direct loss, such as for example replacement costs for hardware, or costs for a technician to inspect or make repairs.
- Disagreements with retail landline service providers about a vulnerable consumer’s ability to contact emergency services in a power cut under the 111 Contact Code
- Disputes with telecommunications service providers about their rights and responsibilities under the Copper Withdrawal Code.
TDR can't consider:
- A telecommunications company's pricing (except where what is billed differs from pricing information provided during the sales process)
- Complaints about equipment or software that is not supported by the telecommunications company
- A telecommunications company's network coverage (except where the network coverage received differs from the available coverage indicated during the sales process)
- Disputes about statutory rights of access to install broadband on shared property – please refer to Utilities Disputes
- A complaint that is also subject to legal action and/or is being made somewhere else, such as through the Courts
- Complaints about domain names-- please refer to the Domain Name Commission
- Information requests to your provider
- Issues that are covered by the Privacy Act - please refer to the Privacy Commission
- A complaint that has already been looked at by TDR
- Claims for compensation for indirect loss e.g. time/wages lost during dispute resolution.
If TDR is unable to help with your issue, these other organisations - listed under 'Resources' - may be helpful.